OUR MISSION AND ACTIVITIES
The Office for Child Protection (OCP) was established in 1993 under a different name, but the mission has remained the same throughout the years to the present day. The OCP is responsible for ensuring the necessary safety and security for all children as they participate in Church and religious activities. The OCP accomplishes this goal by:
- Conducting abuse prevention training for all who work with our children;
- Executing background checks for all Diocesan staff and volunteers who work with our children;
- Providing children with personal safety training programs;
- Preparing an annual audit for the U.S.C.C.B. on Diocesan abuse prevention efforts;
- Ensuring diocesan compliance with the U.S.C.C.B. Dallas Charter;
- Investigating suspected cases of abuse and neglect within the Diocese of Fall River;
- Addressing cases of suspected abuse by Diocesan employees; and
- Offering resources and referrals on abuse prevention, bullying and internet safety to parents, schools and parishes.
"Let there be no doubt or confusion on anyone's part: For us, your bishops, our obligation to protect children and young people and to prevent sexual abuse flows from our mission and example given to us by Jesus Christ himself, in whose name we serve." - Excerpt from the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, June 2005 - United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
DEBORA BERG, M.S, M.B.A.
Program Coordinator and Safe Environment Coordinator
New Bedford Office
(508) 997 - 7337
ARLENE MCNAMEE, L.C.S.W.
CSS Executive Director and Victim Assistance Coordinator
Fall River Office