CHILD PROTECTION RESOURCES
Child Protection Documents
OCP INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES
ARTICLES ON ABUSE
- Child Abuse Prevention Month - Resources from the USCCB
- Secretariat of Youth Protection, USCCB - Church Still Challenged to Deal with Clerical Abuse of Minors, Beth David, April 2008 (.pdf)
- origins CNS Documentary Service - Moving Beyond Compliance Toward Conversion: Preventing Child Sexual Abuse, Archbishop Brunett, April 2008 (.pdf)
- What has the Catholic Church done to stop clergy sexual abuse? (.pdf)
- Combating “Charter Fatigue”- New Strategies for the Next Decade (.pdf) - Joanne Vienna, M.A., Coordinator of Safeguard the Children Archdiocese of Los Angeles, CA
- Knock, Knock…Who’s There? Making Serious Choices About Who Has Access to Your Family. (.pdf)- Joanne Vienna, M.A., Coordinator of Safeguard the Children Archdiocese of Los Angeles, CA
- "Did You Know?" Discipline vs. Punishment (.pdf) - Debora Jones, Safe Environment Coordinator, Diocese of Fall River, MA
- Education in Sexual Abuse Prevention It’s Not What You May Think (.pdf) - Elizabeth A. Heidt Kozisek, Ph.D. Director – Child Protection Office, Diocese of Grand Island, NE
- From Safe Environments to Faith Environments: Furthering the Gospel Message of Christ (.pdf) - Elizabeth A. Heidt Kozisek, Ph.D. Director – Child Protection Office, Diocese of Grand Island, NE
- Pornography: The Last and Maybe the Most Significant “Safe Environment” Battle (.pdf) - Mary Beth Hanus Safe Environment Coordinator, Archdiocese of Omaho, NE
- Safe Environment Training (.pdf) - Barbara Landregan, Director of Safe Environment Program, Diocese of Dallas, TX
- The Privilege of Ministry (.pdf) - Suzanne Healey, Victim Assistance Coordinator, Archdiocese of Los Angeles
FORMS, BROCHURES, MISC. LITERATURE
The Well-Armored Child: A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Sexual Abuse (2015) by Joelle Casteix. ISBN: 13: 978-1-63299-039-6 ($12.95). Available from www.casteix.com.
Office for Child Protection review: This is simply the best book for parents who want to learn how to protect their children from victimization. It is easy to read and filled with practical tips on how to raise a child who is a “hard target,” meaning one who cannot easily be manipulated by a predator. The book ranges from introducing basic concepts to toddlers all the way to helping your college student navigate dangerous situations without being harmed.
Veronica’s Veil: Spiritual Companionship for Survivors of Abuse (2014), by Rev. Lewis S. Fiorelli, O.S.F.S. and T. Pitt Green. ISBN: 978-1-4575-3414-0 ($29.95).
Office for Child Protection review: The definitive book for supporting survivors of sexual abuse. The book is beautifully written in three voices: those of survivor, therapist and spiritual advisor. Even experienced practitioners in therapeutic or spiritual fields will find new and immensely helpful insights. It should be required reading for anyone working with abuse survivors!
A Chance in the World: An Orphan Boy, A Mysterious Past, and How He Found a Place Called Home (2012) by Steve Pemberton. ISBN: 978-1-5955-5263-1 ($24.99).
TECHNOLOGY SAFETY RESOURCES
- I-Parent Times, May/June 2008 Issue (.pdf): Cyber Bullying. Social Networking, Internet Safety
- I-Parent Times, March/April 2008 issue (.pdf): Safer Internet Day Blog-a-thon, Miss Bimbo.com, Blog Safety Tips, Confessions of an Internet Sex Addict.
- I-Parent Times, January/February 2008 issue (.pdf): 101 Things to do on the Internet, PC Repairs and Privacy, Scams.
- Tips for Online Family Safety (.pdf)
- Cyberbullying (.pdf)
- Enhancing Child Safety and Online Technologies: Final Report of the Internet Safety Technical Task Force to the Multi-State Working Group on Social Networking of State Attorneys General of the United States
- Safekids.com. A website dedicated to child internet safety
- IKeepSafe.org. A kid friendly site, with games, social networking and tips for parents
- Internet Safety for Teens. Thoughts, articles, and tips for protecting your teen online
- The Common Sense Internet Survival Guide.
- A Parent's Guide to Internet Safety. An FBI Publication.
- Internet Safety for Parents. A guide from the District Attorney of Massachusetts (.pdf).
- Internet Safety Tips. From the town of Yarmouth, Massachusetts.
- OneToughJob.org. Internet Safety for Parents.
BULLYING AND SCHOOL HARRASSMENT
Suicide Prevention Resources:
General Internet Resources:
Massachusetts Internet Resources:
- darkness2light.org - Child Sexual Abuse Prevention
- girlsandboystown.org - Youth care and Youth Healthcare
- missingkids.com - National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- cybertipline.com - Fighting Child Exploitation
- netsmartz.org - Internet Safety
- fallriverparentacademy.org - The Fall River Parent Academy is a growing partnership of our community agencies, businesses and schools working together to offer FREE learning opportunities for Fall River parents and other caring adults. Our network of resources provides unique, interactive courses and workshops designed to help parents become active partners in their children's education and also to explore areas of personal and professional growth.